Friday, July 28, 2017

Behind the Design: That Maurizio Galante Jacket


There was one more couture look I just HAD to do. But I needed time to figure it out how to make a dolly version.

There were two shows--Maurizio Galante and Iris van Herpen-- presented during the Paris Haute Couture that me and the girls loved, but could not include in our last report for good reason. Both of these designers create what we could classify as....fashion-as-art/art-as-fashion. This is when the principles, the exploration and experimentation employed in the world of fine art is translated into high fashion. Some things are wearable, others not. But for me, artists like these are necessary for the evolution of style and design.


Originally trained as an architect, Maurizio Galante is an Italian fashion designer who launched his label in 1986 before joining Paris Haute Couture scene in1991. The transversal approach to his craft sees him combining fashion, architecture, art and interior design. He sees his work as what he calls "objects of desire" or "conversation pieces" destined to evoke emotions.

Galante's work caught my eye many years ago with his unusual use of form, elements and movement, all elegantly executed. He's been around longer than Ms. van Herpen so there is more of an old school approach to his work. For the Fall/Winter Haute Couture '17 collection, Galante opted for a static show so that viewers could appreciate the details of each piece.

Fashion Doll Stylist

I was so intrigued by the white jacket. I love the rows and rows of tiny squares, the texture and movement they create as they fall over the body and down the arms. The jacket itself is quite simple. It's the squares that pose the problem. I made little samples using materials at hand but, as usual, the challenge is always the tiny proportions of the doll. You don't have the luxury of hemming anything, so the material must not fray when cut. I tried jersey but the edges curled. It's ok for another look, just not the one I was going for. Actually, it's okay if the fabric edges fray, if that's what you want (there are no rules), it's just not what I was going for. So at the end of the day I decided to use....industrial strength paper toweling for my squares.

This project starts by measuring and cutting my paper towel in strips of 1/2" (13mm).  I gathered about 4 strips at a time, then cut them into 1/2" (13mm) cubes. I used (kitchen) string (threaded through a wide-eye quilting needle) to string the tiny squares.
You can use a basic jacket or kimono. But hold off lining it. Then, make several strings of squares.
1. Drape a row of squares along the front edge and around the neck of the jacket and pin in place. 2. Using regular needle and thread, begin by taking down the first square to the jacket, but for the rest of the string, tack around the string.
3. As I work, I separate the squares and loop the stitch around the string.
4. For my next row, I place it next to the first row but then pin at the shoulder and down the back, close to the side seam. There will be a space under the arm. Leave that empty. Continue to add the rows until the back is covered. When you are working with the rows of squares, always tack the first and last squares to the jacket to keep them from unraveling. But you want to tack the string down for the rest so that you can adjust the squares afterwards.
5. I cut slightly smaller squares for the sleeves. I cut the toweling into 3/8" (10mm) strips and then 3/8" (10mm) cubes for stringing. Use a dowel, fat pencil or pen  to slip into the sleeve of the jacket while you tack on the row of squares.
6. You can make a spiral around the sleeve with the row of squares (as shown in the diagram). Here you see my completed jacket. Again, notice I've left a space under the arms. This is to keep the jacket from becoming too bulky on the doll. It won't look strange because we will be closing this jacket with a belt.
 7. Once you have finished adding on all the squares, now is the time to hand sew in your lining.
The belt is simple. I took another length of string, knotted it at the end and began adding on 3/8" (10mm) squares. Once I have enough to make me happy, I adjust them so that they are evenly placed on two ends. Then I knot the opposite end.
 
My jacket is not exactly like the one created by Maurizio Galante. My squares don't bend. Nonetheless, I've captured the spirit of the original jacket. What's amazing is that the exterior of my jacket is completely made of paper!
Okay, so I know this type of expression is not everyone's cup of tea. You can use this idea of squares to make a lovely trim for a garment. This time I, I cut up a dryer sheet into 1/2" squares then added to the top of Ingrid's slip dress.
It's a nice alternative to feathers and fur and adds a very pretty soft touch to a summer gown.

Future Couture
Dutch designer Iris van Herpen is purely a 21st century couturier who employs 3D design and technology in her works of fashion art. Nothing I can do can come remotely close to her work, so instead, I invite you to view a the behind the scenes clip at how this amazing designer works:



All text and photos (except for the Iris van Herpen video) property of Fashion Doll Stylist. 2017 (and should be credited as such). Please don't reproduce without prior permission. Thank you.


Follow us on Twitter: @FashDollStylist
Like us on Facebook: @FashDollStylist
We're also on Pinterest: @FashDollStylist
Come join us on Instagram and show off your stuff: instagram.com/fashiondollstylist

14 comments:

  1. You are just so amazing, I would never have the vision to work out how to create this look. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. This was one of those garments that simply haunted me. While working on the preceding post, I had given up the idea of trying to replicate it, but the jacket kept coming back to haunt me until I could figure out some version. But in the end, I'm pretty happy with what I was able to do.

      Delete
  2. Myślałam, że niewiele rzeczy może mnie jeszcze zaskoczyć, lecz ten film, propozycje strojów oraz kurtka, wykonana przez Ciebie, temu przeczą!
    To jest absolutnie fascynujące i wspaniałe!
    Pozdrawiam Cię serdecznie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olla wrote: I've always thought that few things could surprise me but this post--its proposals of jackets and dresses made by you--contradict this. It is absolutely fascinating and wonderful! Greetings!
      Thank you Olla. The more I make these lovely little doll clothes, I more I feel the need to step out of my comfort zone and try new and challenging things. So happy I was able to titillate your fashion taste buds with this post!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a cool concept to translate in doll size! I thought of a material that should allow you to make this kind of clothes in other colours. I have no idea what it's called, it's a non-woven sheet that looks like papery thin felt with uneven fibers visible through it. It's quite similar to the dryer sheet, I thought of it looking at the second garment. You can find it in rolls in craft stores and bouquet supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BlackKitty, I think I know the material you are talking about. If I were in Paris, I would know exactly where to find it. There's a big store in the fabric district selling it by the meter in different colors. Sadly, I'm not in Paris right now and no where near anywhere selling it. This project was so interesting and even though I made that jacket, I'm still in my "what-if" mode. There might be another garment with squares in my dolls' future!!!

      Delete
  4. Wow I like it <3 <3 Very interesting fashion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Urszula. It's nice to see there are still a few designers coming up with interesting clothes. I wish I could find more of them!

      Delete
  5. Your jacket is amazing! Love the use of both the paper towels and the dryer sheets. I don't think I have the patience to do an entire jacket but I love the idea of using it as trim. Thank you for taking the time to create and share your ideas with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. I assumed there wouldn't be many people with the patience to make the entire jacket. Admittedly, the process is long and repetitive which forced me to take a break and do other things. That's why it took me so long to make it. And that's why I did the dress using the squares just for trim!

      Delete
  6. This is just madness of the best order! Tyvek would be great (but noisy). But dryer sheets. I already cut them in half (a whole one is too much, a half is just perfect) and I just toss them when I'm done (or use them to wipe up glue mistakes). And even though it would take awhile to get enough, I would get enough of them in time.

    The material Black Kitty mentions is either drain filtration/ trench wrap (white, comes on rolls in the hardware store - I've used it to trace patterns but it likes permanent ink more than I do) or septic filter fabric (usually a medium gray). Cheap enough to get enough to make a whole jacket for a full sized adult.
    I can't think about this: the next mad project is a felt suit like Joseph Beuys. Made from insulation felt.
    I love the hardware store! It has so much potential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG!!! When I saw your message, I said to myself....there are other people in this world just as crazy as me! That jacket just haunted me and wouldn't let me go until I tried it. And even though this jacket is finished and posted....it still continues to haunt me as I wonder what results I would get using other types of materials. I think BlackKitty was referring to a material (sorry, don't know the name), used for decorations. It's soft and somewhat sheer (but noisy) resembling very much like the material used in the dryer sheets (minus the crust of fabric softener). The material I have in mind comes in pastel tones and is sold by the meter. I know where to find it in Paris but not outside of NY. I, like you, just LOVE all of these "unexpected" materials. I guess that's why I am a fan of vintage Paco Rabannne, early Martin Margiela and of course, this guy, Maurizio Galante. Once I can find an inexpensive way to recreate something from Iris van Herpen's collection, I'll be right on that. I will tell you this.....I had this sort of quirky taste while studying fashion back in my college days. I designed terrycloth cocktail dresses, Naugahyde pant suits and "lounge wear" made from upholstery fabric. Everybody used to look at me and my stuff and laugh!!!

      Delete
  7. I never would have thought that jacket was made from paper towels. You are so creative! The jacket is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jaye. I tried to find a more "noble" fabric, but I ended up using the material that helped me bring the original design to life. In the back of my mind, I'm still in the "what if" mode! There might be another jacket in another fabric in my dolls' future!!! (LOL)

      Delete

We love hearing from you. Your comment will be published shortly. Please note: SPAM IS NOT TOLERATED. It will be deleted immediately!!